How I Met My Dog, Inc. Privacy Statement
This privacy statement discloses the privacy practices of How I Met My Dog, Inc. (“HIMMD” or the “Company”) with respect to our website located at http://www.howimetmydog.com, as well as all products and services offered by the Company.
This privacy statement was last revised on May 14, 2018.
What Information We Collect
The types of information that we collect fall under two general categories: Personally identifiable information (PII) and non-personally identifiable information (non-PII). PII consists of any information that can be used to specifically identify you as an individual, whereas non-PII consists of aggregate information or any information that does not reveal your identity. The following sections describe how your PII and non-PII are collected by us, and how we use such information.
How We Collect and Use Information
- Log Files. Any time you visit our website, our servers automatically gather information from your browser (such as your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks) to analyze trends, administer the site, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information. For example, we may log your IP address for system administration purposes. IP addresses are logged to track a user’s session. This gives us an idea of which parts of our site users are visiting. We do not share the log files externally.
- Web Beacons. “Web beacons” (also known as “clear gifs” and “pixel tags”) are small transparent graphic images that are often used in conjunction with cookies in order to further personalize our website for our users and to collect a limited set of information about our visitors. We may also use web beacons in email communications in order to understand the behavior of our customers. We do not link the Web beacons to any PII.
- Information About You. When you register for the Service, we collect a variety of information about you. For example, you may provide us with non-PII about yourself (in the form of questionnaire responses) to participate in matching. You may choose to provide us with photos or videos of yourself, family members and/or pets, and by providing us such content, you agree that we may make them available to other users of the Service. Except as otherwise stated in this privacy statement, we do not disclose your PII to other users of our services.
- Information from other sources. We may also periodically obtain both PII and non-PII about you from current or future affiliates, business partners, contractors and other third parties. Examples of information that we may receive include: updated contact, address or delivery information, purchase history, and additional demographic information.
- Purchase Information. To process purchases, we may require your name, address, phone number, email address and credit card information. Such information is used primarily to process your order or as otherwise described herein. Credit card transactions are processed through industry standard Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) by a third party, which only uses your information for that purpose.
- Email and Telephone Calls. We require an email address from you when you register for our services. We use your email for both transactional (e.g., order confirmation) and promotional (e.g., newsletters, new product offerings, special discounts, event notifications) purposes. Email messages we send you may contain code that enables our database to track your usage of the emails, including whether the email was opened and what links (if any) were clicked. If you would rather not receive promotional emails from us, please see the section below labeled “Choice/Opt-Out”. We reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the Service, such as service announcements and administrative messages, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them. We may also contact you by telephone or text message (including to any wireless number you may provide to us) solely in connection with the Service. If you would rather not receive telephone calls or text messages from us, you may delete your number from your account profile, or ask to be removed from our contact list if you receive a call or text message from us. We fully comply with the requirements of the U.S. CAN-SPAM Act.
- Demographic Data. Demographic data is also collected at our site. We may use this data to tailor our visitors’ experience, showing them content that we think they might be interested in, and displaying the content according to their preferences. Some of this information may be shared with advertisers on a non-personally identifiable basis.
- Online Survey Data. We may periodically conduct voluntary member surveys. We encourage our members to participate in such surveys because they provide us with important information regarding the improvement of our services. You may also volunteer for certain surveys that we may offer to our users, and any additional rules regarding the conduct of such surveys will be disclosed to you prior to your participation. We do not link the survey responses to any PII, and all responses are anonymous.
- Public Forums. We may choose to make event pages, discussion boards or other areas of the Service available to other members and visitors. Any information that is disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose any PII.
- Use for Research. In addition to the uses outlined above, by using our site, you agree to allow us to anonymously use the information from you and your experiences for research and development purposes and to improve the HIMMD customer experience.
Disclosure of Your Information to Third Parties
- Disclosure By Law. You acknowledge and agree that we may disclose information you provide if required to do so by law, at the request of a third party, or if we, in our sole discretion, believe that disclosure is reasonable to (1) comply with the law, requests or orders from law enforcement, or any legal process (whether or not such disclosure is required by applicable law); (2) protect or defend the Company’s, or a third party’s, rights or property; or (3) protect someone’s health or safety, such as when harm or violence against any person (including you) is threatened.
- Disclosure to Authorized Service Providers. We may share your personal information with authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include fulfilling orders, processing credit card payments, providing customer service and marketing assistance, delivering goods or services, performing business and sales analysis, supporting our website functionality, and supporting features offered through our website. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Disclosure to Affiliates and Trusted Business Partners. We may share information we collect, including PII, with current or future subsidiaries, parent or sibling corporations, or other Company affiliates. Sharing this information enables us to provide you with information about a variety of products and services that might interest you. We may also share PII or non-PII with carefully selected businesses with which we partner to offer you products, services, discounts, special offers or promotions tailored to our members’ interests. See “Choice/Opt-Out” below for further information.
- Information Transferred As a Result of Sale of Business. As we develop our business, we may buy or sell assets and, depending on the transaction, your PII may be one of the transferred assets. In the event that we are acquired by another company, your PII may be part of the assets transferred to the acquiring party. If this occurs, you will be notified if there are any material changes to the way your PII is collected or used.
We may use third-party advertising agencies or other service providers to serve ads on our website on behalf of the Company or third-party advertisers (e.g., retailers of goods or services). These companies may employ cookies and Web beacons to measure advertising effectiveness. Any information that these third parties collect via cookies and Web beacons is completely anonymous. Some of these third-party advertising agencies may be members of the Network Advertising Initiative, which offers you the option to opt out of ad targeting from its member agencies by following the procedures listed here.
We will only share your information with third parties in the ways defined in this privacy statement.
Our services are intended for adults over the age of 18. We do not target our website or services to children under the age of 13, and in compliance with the U.S. Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, any information we may receive from users we believe to be under the age of 13 will be purged from our database.
The Service is intended for use only by United States residents at this time. If you reside outside the United States, you access the Service at your own risk. Users may not access the Site or register for or use the Service if prohibited by law in their country of residence. If you are located outside of the United States, please note that your use of the Site or the Service, or your submission of any PII to us, will constitute your consent to the transfer of your PII from your home country to the United States, which may provide for different data protection rules than in your country.
We have extensive security measures in place to protect the loss, misuse and alteration of the information stored in our database. These measures include the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and/or strong encryption (3DES) technology during credit card transactions and administrative access to site data, as well as other proprietary security measures which are applied to all repositories and transfers of user information. We will exercise reasonable care in providing secure transmission of information between your computer and our servers, but given that no information transmitted over the Internet can be guaranteed 100% secure, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to us over the Internet and hence accept no liability for any unintentional disclosure.
California Privacy Rights
Users who are California residents are entitled to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may review whether your request is subject to applicable California law.
You may use the following options for removing your information from our email database if you wish to opt out of receiving promotional emails and newsletters.
- Click on the “unsubscribe” link on the bottom of the email;
- Send mail to the following postal address letting us know which promotional emails you wish to opt-out of: HIMMD, 116 East 68th St, 3B, New York, NY 10065
- For any services that allow you to control which emails you receive, go to the email settings page from your account home page, and un-check the undesired promotions.
Updating Your Information
HIMMD provides users the following options for changing and modifying information previously submitted.
- You may change your credit card (if applicable), email address, password and other information from the “Edit Profile” page on our website;
- Send us an email at email@example.com and our customer service agents will be happy to assist you; or
- You can send mail to the postal address listed above, providing us with your account information and letting us know which information you wish to update.
Contacting the Website
If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of the Site, or your dealings with the Company, you can contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the postal address listed above.
Acceptance of Privacy Statement
Your continued use of any portion of our website following posting of the updated privacy statement will constitute your acceptance of the changes.